Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Hydration - Are you drinking enough?

Next in the series of posts is my hot button - HYDRATION!  I am one of those people that just doesn't like water.  I know, it's bizarre but I have met a few people that don't like it either, but it's rare.  I'm a work in progress, so I'm trying.


Here are a few things that D and I drink.  Somethings are daily and some are maybe once a week or even a few sips every day.  Electrolytes are at the top of our daily beverages as well as iced coffees (summertime!).  I love sparkling flavored water and mineral waters.  As my splurge, I will have coconut water.  This one happens to be chocolate, I was encouraged to try it and it tastes just like chocolate milk. 


We can't forget that we do get some water from our foods as well.  More so from unprocessed whole foods.  I just made this smoothie bowl which has blue/green algae, avocado and vanilla protein powder.  Not only am I getting fats and proteins but I am getting some hydration in as well.  I usually have consumed coffee in the morning, which depending on your body, can be a diuretic.  What does that mean, isn't coffee made with water?!  Yes, it is, but caffeine can negate the benefit of water and can deplete your hydration levels.  It's best to add more water to your daily consumption based on your coffee or caffeine consumption.

What are the benefits of drinking the proper amount of water for you and what is the proper amount?

Water is the most important nutrient in the body making up approximately 55 to 60% of our total mass.  We can go for weeks without food but only days without water.

Benefits include:

delivering oxygen
transporting nutrients
easier breathing
absorbs shock
regulates body temperature
removes wastes
aids in healing

We produce 8% through metabolic processes and we need to consume 92% through drinking and eating.  That is a significant amount if you ask me!  Amy Kubal wrote a great article that you can read here from Robb Wolf's site.

DEHYDRATION!!

It's bigger than what you think.  You could be dehydrated right now.  I know you are saying you aren't thirsty, so you're not dehydrated, right?!  Not so fast.  Remember above, we need to consume 92% from food and beverages.  I barely drink right now, so I rely on food.  That's a lot of food to consume for that big percentage.  I'm not thirsty right now, but I bet I'm dehydrated.

If we are dehydrated it can cause fatigue.  So if you are sleepy right now reading this, go have some water and let me know how you feel after.  It can cause health problems such as digestive issues, cardiovascular, immune and musculoskeletal.  So basically every part of your body can have an issue by just not drinking enough water!  So, what am I doing right now?

DRINKING WATER!

I have a Berkey water filtration system, so I know my water is good for me.  Stay away from bottled water as the plastics can leach into the water.  If you want bottled than stick to glass or invest in a good quality non-plastic bottle (NO STRAW EITHER, unless its metal)


I also like to drink out of random glasses, mugs and jugs! Ha ha!

So what are the proper guidelines?  As a base, the amount you should consume in ounces is your body weight (in lbs) divided by 2.  I should be drinking about 60 ounces.  I roughly weigh 120 lbs.  Now you might be better off with a little more or a little less depending on your activities and the other beverages (non-caffeinated) you drink.  You can click here to take you to a handy calculator to see what the proper ratio could be for you.  If you would like to see when you should take in more water, you can read that here.

This isn't a long post but just a reminder to drink more water.  Sip it throughout the day, still, drink your coffee or tea and then get back to the water.

I am on day 3 of drinking more and I am noticing digestive improvements!  Yay!  I'm also generally feeling pretty good.  I drink mine with a couple pinches of Himalayan sea salt.  Getting those minerals in too!

How are you making sure you are drinking enough water?  What tips would you give to someone who is less than excited to drink it?


No comments:

Post a Comment